Saturday, July 28, 2007

A New Thing

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "You must do the thing you think you cannot."

For the last few years, I have been trying, in small ways, to do just that. As an experiment.

  • I had a driving phobia, so I drove from Michigan to Arizona.
  • I was 50 pounds overweight and a total couch potato, so I went to hiking camp for a week in the Adirondacks.
  • I never, ever let anyone see anything I wrote, so I submitted some poems to to online magazines and to a poetry contest in my home town.
  • I was terrified of public speaking, so I signed up as a liturgist at church and one Sunday I even preached a sermon.

So far the experiment seems to be going well. So here's another challenge.

I will make friends with technology.
I will reveal more of myself to the world than I'm used to doing.
I will even invite feedback, and if it hurts my feelings, well so be it. And if nobody cares, well, at least I'm mastering the technology part in a small way.

So here goes. I will share some thoughts, some photos, poetry, and whatever else occurs to me. And I will be brave about it.

No comments: