Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sabbath

It never fails to amaze me how things seem to just fall into place to point to something that needs my attention and thought. The more I try to ignore the nudgings, the more persistent they become.

The subject in my bible study this past week was the stories of creation. Every time I read those accounts in Genesis, something different strikes me. This time I was very aware of the pacing, particularly in the first story. Day one, certain things were accomplished. Then there was time of rest, time to declare it "good". Each of six days was like that, with a seventh, entire day of rest.

At another point in the week I was out for a walk as the school bus was was dropping off some children in front of a particular house. The children went their separate ways, with one child walking up the driveway. A woman, who I assumed to be the mom, came out the front door, purse and keys in hand, and they both got in the car and rode away. Now, this is not a judgement on that family,or any family for that matter, but I felt a little sad. I think the reason I did was because I saw a lot of my life in that simple occurence. So often I go from one activity to another with no pause inbetween. Do I appreciate or consider what I have just finished before I jump into another project? Usually not.


Later in the week I ran across a book I haven't picked up in awhile, called Sabbath, Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in our Busy Lives, by Wayne Muller. I remember that the first time I read that book, it seemed to really change my thinking. As time went by, however, I got back into the habit of rushing from one thing to another.

There is a lovely little poem in there by Marcia Falk, called Will:


Three generations back
my family had only


to light a candle
and the world parted.


Today, Friday afternoon,
I disconnect clocks and phones.


When night fills my house
with passages,


I begin saving
my life.





Can it be possibly that simple, just decide to do it, unplug and claim some Sabbath time?

What would my life be like if I disciplined myself to accomplish a certain amount, then stop and be thankful for what was done? To actually enjoy what came of my labor?

And even more outrageous, what if I set aside one day a week to enjoy my loved ones, to spend time in my favorite places, to do creative things, or just to, dare I say it, rest and reflect?

Would I lose more than I gain?

Somehow I don't think so.

2 comments:

Staci said...

That sounds like a book I need to read. I'm going to look for it. Thanks for sharing it! :-)

FlipFlop Mom said...

Oh so much truth in this post.. I love it!!! I do however try to sneak self time in... I NEED to.. I CRAVE it.. or I'm just a CRANK!!!! Ask my kids.. Ü