Sunday, January 13, 2008

Coffee Hour

January 13: Coffee Hour


Susan and Linda are deep in conversation at coffee hour after church. Susan is such a wise, funny person and Linda is the kind of listener I would like to be. I'm so glad to know both of them!


Like many other churches, mine has a tradition of serving refreshments after the worship service. Such a small thing, but a big thing, too. Who would think that some coffee or juice and a few snacks would be so important in the life of a group of people? But it is.


It's where we connect: we catch up with what happened with each other's week, we take care of "business" (can you help me out with this project I'm working on?, Here's the copy of the article you asked me for, etc.), encourage and validate each other. Oh, and just plain visit. Or get a chance to hold that new baby. It feels like family time.


We take turns hosting, so pretty much everyone gets an opportunity to provide for the rest of the congregation. It's something that I look forward to very much. I get to see everybody!


It's said that God is in the details. It is wonderful how important the little, doable things are to an organization. Or a family. Or an individual. It is encouraging that everyday actions that are within my power to do can have a positive influence on the quality of someone else's existence. Something that I think I'll be keeping in mind.





No comments: