Friday, January 4, 2008

Project Simplify, year two

Last year I made a commitment to begin to try and simplify my life.




I chose to focus was on multi-tasking. As in doing less of it. So I could be more present at what I was doing. Through my successes and failures I think I learned to pay more attention. I felt myself becoming more mindful. Mundane things took on more meaning. Everyday things became richer.




This year I'm focusing on decluttering, both physically and mentally. I'll be chipping away, a little at a time. I've been trying to weed at least a few things out every day. So far it's been pretty easy.




But I know that there will be times when it will be painful. I have a tendency to hang on to things. You know, get sentimental about inanimate objects. And I also have a habit of, well, mulling things over. And over. And over.




Here is my first project. I am not proud of how this looks; when I saw the photo I'd taken, I was horrified. And the rest of the space is worse. Much worse.






I'm looking forward to eventually having a neat, organized creative space, with what I need and nothing more. I am also making a mental list of all the clutter in my life I could do away with. This should be an interesting year on my journey to simplicity.

8 comments:

Mrs. Mighton said...

That was very brave of you to post a photo that you yourself were horrified by. Don't be discouraged though. You can do it! Just do a little at a time and you will get there. Try to envision what it will look like when it is all done. Soon, you will reach your vision! Good luck! :-)

Janet said...

Simplifying is a great goal! I've been working on that for the last year with my goal of "ORDER". I work on little pockets at a time and I'm getting there. Good luck! jp

Sherry said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. :)

Linda said...

Congrats on achieving last years goal. Decluttering is hard at first, just take baby steps and you will reach your goal. Good luck!

Colleen said...

Simplifying is a good thing and I'm the same with the decluttering right now - in purge mode. it's amazing what you can collect with realizing! Good luck!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

I think accountability helps us to realize our goals! Good for you and good luck!

Shirley Fyfe said...

Congrats on achieving last years goal and good luck with the one you have made for 2008 too!

toners said...

Hang in there! You'll get there :)